Strawberry picking in the beautiful Stellenbosch Winelands is a great family outing and lots of fun for the kids. Strawberry picking season is September to December. Strawberries are juicy, summery and delicious and an excellent Superfood! They are nutrient-rich and packed with antioxidants (like vitamin C) and offer a wide range of health benefits! Plenty of reason to get out into the strawberry fields with the family 🙂
10 Interesting Health Benefits of Strawberries:
- Strawberries are a Super Food, nutrient-rich and packed with Antioxidants like Vitamin C
- Strawberries boost Immune Health
- Strawberries promote Eye Health
- Strawberries have Cancer fighting properties
- Strawberries fight Bad Cholestrol
- Strawberries are good for your Skin
- Strawberries reduce imflammation
- Strawberries regulate Blood Pressure
- Strawberries boost Fibre
- Strawberries are naturally low calorie, fat-free and low in sodium and sugar
- The Winelands can be hot! I recommend to go early morning to avoid the heat.
- Remember to wear comfortable shoes, ideally trainers that can get dirty.
- Remember sunscreen and hats.
DID YOU KNOW… Strawberries are the only fruit that wear their seeds on the outside!
There are two options in the Stellenbosch Winelands:
Located in the beautiful Stellenbosch Winelands you will find this lovely strawberry farm with its rows of colourful friendly scarecrows. On arrival purchase your bucket in the Food and Wine Shop. Once you are ready you will receive a few instructions and be directed to the strawberry fields. Remember you cannot eat the Strawberries in the field as they first need to be washed!
- Picking season at Polkadraai Farm is from September to January
- Cost depends on the size of your bucket. There are 4 options ranging from approximately R40 – R190
- Buckets may not be shared and every person entering needs to purchase a bucket
The Food & Wine Shop sells an extensive range of estate wines, dried fruits, nuts, jams, preserves, biltong, sweets, and other delicious treats. At the farm you will also find a large jungle gym, pony rides, tractor rides and mini golf.
Strawberry Picking Tips:
- Strawberries will not change colour or flavour after picking.
- Leave the green stem on the strawberry to maximise its shelf life.
- Refrigerate your strawberries as soon as possible.
- Only wash your strawberries just prior to eating.
September to January | Daily 9am – 4pm | The Farmstall is open daily January to December 9am – 5pm
Polkadraai Farm, M12 Stellenbosch Arterial, Stellenbosch | Tel: 021 – 881 3303 | www.polkadraaifarm.co.za
You’ll know when you have arrived at Mooiberge by the friendly, colourful scarecrows riding tractors, bicycles and working in the strawberry fields, visible from the road. This is a lovely way to spend the day with the family picking delicious, juicy strawberries with picturesque views of the Stellenbosch Winelands. This family run farm, with history dating back to the 1900’s, has a reputation for producing premium quality strawberries. You pay per kilogram for what you pick.
Enjoy a meal at the Farmer’s Kitchen with a play area for the kids while enjoying stunning views of the Winelands or sample a wide range of craft beer at the Thirsty Scarecrow where they serve tasty tapas.
In the Farmstall you will find the freshest dried fried and a large selection of nuts, preserves, pickled chilli’s, biltong and tasty treats. You can also purchase an impressive selection of Estate wines from the Winery.
Strawberry Picking: 9:30am – 4:30pm October to December on Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays.
Open daily in December School Holidays.
The Farmers Kitchen: Monday to Friday 8:30pm – 5pm; Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays 9am – 5pm
The Thirsty Scarecrow: Wednesday to Sunday 11am – 11pm
R44, Stellenbosch (just after Root 44 Market) | Tel: 021 – 881 3222 | www.zetler.co.za
*Prices and facts correct at time of publishing