Well we don’t have snow but we do have amazing sand dunes! Experience the exhilarating fun of Sandboarding on our amazing West Coast dunes. The perfect way to get outdoors and the adrenaline pumping in beautiful Cape Town. The dunes are impressive and they are right on our step. Cape Xtreme have daily tours to the Dunes, plus a variety of other exciting, adrenaline pumping tours. See their website for details.
My husband, 6-year old son and I had an amazing morning on the dunes learning to sandboard for the first time, and it was fairly easy to get the hang of it. Sandboarding requires similar skills to snowboarding, like balance. Our tour with Cape Xtreme started at 9am, which is a good idea to book for the morning as the wind tends to pick up in the late morning / afternoon in Cape Town. Once parked you will walk into the dunes with your board, which is very light to carry.
The qualified instructor gives some guidelines and tips, and demonstrate how to strap your board on, and wax your board (wax on, wax off…). This helps the board glide easily across the sand else it can get quite sticky. Once it starts to stick it is time to wax on, wax off again. It is as simple as that and then it is time to have a go. The instructor will first direct you to the ‘beginner’ slope for a warm up and if you are confident you can progress to more advanced dunes, literally on the other side. There are lots of different dunes to choose from depending on your experience and spirit of adventure. Kids can sit on the board and ride down if they do not want to give standing a go, and you can ride this way tandem too, even 3!
Dress comfortably, jeans or short will do depending on the weather. Wear socks and trainers and take a jumper in case. The wind can be cold. It can be sunny, hot, windy or cold…this is Cape Town… so come prepared!
The tour was exceptionally well run and our guide was professional and friendly, and there to assist in any way we needed to ensure we had a fun day. Transport to the Atlantis Dunes is provided in the cost if you need to be collected from the city or surrounds or you can meet them at the dunes, which we did. Be prepared to get sandy!
Anyone can do it, don’t worry if you do not have previous experience. Try it, it is a great experience 😉
Thank you Cape Xtreme for an amazing adventure!
- Half day tours are approximately 3 hours. I recommend to book for the morning.
- You need to be of reasonable fitness, to tackle the dunes! Once you are down you need to get back up.
- After a quick safety briefing your instructor will show you the basics of Sand Boarding. Then the fun begins!
- This tour can be included with a Quad Bike Tour on the Dunes, see their website for full details.
- Transport to the Atlantis Sand Dunes, 45 minutes out of Cape Town
- Qualified instructors
- Water and snacks
- Permit fees to the Atlantis Dunes
What to bring
- Sunglasses, sunscreen and hat
- Socks and trainers
- Additional water and snacks of your preference (not necessary, optional)
- Take personal items in a backpack that seals well as when it gets windy the sand has a tendancy to get in everywhere!
- Take as little as possible, only what you require. I do not recommend a camera, your phone will be safest but if you do want to take a camera be extremely careful and ensure you have somewhere safe to store it, to protect it from the sand. Have fun!