Delheim is one of those estates synonymous with the Stellenbosch Winelands, it’s been around for years, and then maybe for that reason a little forgotten with so many new estates popping up almost every day, it feels like it. It was wonderful to go back to one of the first farms I ever visited for wine tasting.
The setting for their Riverside Gourmet Picnics is stunning, a wonderful discovery. Arriving at the farm and walking to the area not knowing what awaits only to discover a beautiful, private and secluded forest area next to the river with water trickling creating a very tranquil ambiance.
The area is ideal for families and perfect for kids to play, explore, climb and swing. There are not many places I have discovered like this providing old school fun for kids to be kids and explore. There is an old school swing which was pure delight for my 6-year old son who absolutely loved it! (the only thing is watch out the kids don’t bump into the tree, they go really high). There is also a perfect swing for the young ones, which is super safe and my little guy loved it.
On arrival at the estate follow the signs for the Wine Tasting, if you would like to try you choice of wine for the day before heading down to the picnic area. A bottle of estate wine is included with the picnic and you have a choice of Delheim Sauvignon Blanc, the estate’s famous Pinotage Rosé, or a bottle of Delheim Cabernet Sauvignon/Shiraz.
If you prefer to head straight to the picnic area, pass via the Garden Restaurant to announce your arrival. You will be directed to the area, which is also signed. At the picnic area a waiter will escort you to your table, so ensure to book in advance! He will then inquire which wine you have selected, which is served in proper wine glasses. The Picnic area is well setup with tables spaciously scattered under oak trees with lots of shade. There are blankets provided if required. There is no compromise on standards with this Gourmet Picnic.
After the wine is served your woven baskets are delivered to the table with the kid’s boxes, filled with Mother Nature’s seasonal deliciousness and homemade goodness.
Each kiddies’ box comes with home-baked cookies and icing which they can decorate providing some entertainment to keep them busy.
Picnic Baskets are brimming with:
- Selection of locally produced cheeses and a selection of charcuterie
- Homemade Delheim pickled pumpkin
- Delheim marinated olives and homemade hummus
- Crusty rustic baguette and crackers
- Red kidney beans and sweet corn salsa
- Watermelon, goat’s cheese and sunflower seed salad
- Chicken Caesar salad with layers of lettuce, chicken breast, bacon, anchovy dressing and croutons
- Roast beef bagel with lettuce, tomato and mustard mayo
- Mini milk tart, apricot compote and shortbread crumb
Kids Picnic Baskets:
- Chicken wing lollipops, baby potatoes, cherry tomatoes and cucumber ribbons
- Cheese and Crackers
- Bento cookie box for decorating your own cookies
- Riverside Picnics are available from the beginning of October to the end of April.
- Gourmet Picnics cost R460 per couple including a bottle of wine with a choice of Delheim Sauvignon Blanc, Delheim Pinotage Rosé, or Delheim Cabernet Sauvignon/Shiraz.
- Children’s baskets cost R100 per child.
- A Vegetarian picnic is available on request.
- Picnic baskets are available from 12pm.
- Bookings taken until 10am on day of booking and pre-payment will serve as confirmation.
- Picnic bookings can be made by phone or email.
The ultimate picnic experience awaits in this beautiful setting at the edge of the Klip River with abundant bird life.
Delheim’s popular Garden Restaurant, with views of Table Mountain in the distance, is in full summer swing. The brand new menu echoes the simple tastes and sublime flavours and textures unique to the season. Chef Bruce von Pressentin, who harvests most of his greens from the new organic vegetable and herb garden on the estate philosophy is “At Delheim, we keep it simple, fresh and real with an earthy charm.”
The new summer menu is a fusion of simple, contemporary creations from across the world, where the quality of the ingredients is allowed to speak for itself. Delheim’s Garden Restaurant is open seven days a week.
The historic estate is a strong follower of sustainable farming, and is passionately committed to the conservation and the rehabilitation of their natural habitat and indigenous flora. With these Riverside Picnics they invite people to reconnect with Delheim and its carefully preserved natural environment.
Thank you Delheim for a wonderful Riverside Gourmet Picnic.
Knorhoek Road, Stellenbosch (off the R44) | Tel: 021 – 888 4600 | www.delheim.com